The history of Kikuletwa Hydropower Station dates back from 1935. Originally the Kikuletwa Power Hydropower Station was generating power of approximately 1.7MW which was fed into the national grid. It was the sole power supply source for Moshi town in Kilimanjaro region. The station utilizes the inflow from Mbuguni River and Kware River. It stopped operating in 1989 for various reasons including inadequate and poor maintenance, wear and tea.